Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cyanotype Surfboard







My first time printing using the cyanotype process. I chose to print my board shaping series onto cyanotype fabric. I bought a beat up surfboard and refiberglassed most of it and threw a coat of paint on the back to make it like a blank canvas. Fixing the board was a project of its own. Each image is two pieces of 8x8 inch cyanotype fabric that I put together. The fins are other surf images I printed but they didn't go with the theme of the shaping series so I cut them into strips and pieced them back together on the fins to mimic patterns found on wood surf fins. Because I rebuilt the board I thought it was appropriate to only use the board shaping series because together they tell a story.
The final image is what the board looked like when I first got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment